> I wanted to understand why this happened. Is standards only really
> something a small contingent of geeky developers go for?

I think it's fair to say that standards developers are still the
minority, but that doesn't make them wrong. "What's right is not
always popular, what's popular is not always right."

> The more I look around at redesigns, I notice that more are failed than
> not. Sunbeam, Shiels Jewellry, VideoEzy, etc, etc, etc. Very few are
> standards compliant.

Probably mostly done by larger design firms, which tend to be using
older techniques. When your profit margins are up, it's easier to get
comfortable I think.

Also, most clients still aren't aware of
standards/accessibility/usability; they're still judging sites on how
they look and what the first few users say.

> Wouldn't it be better to be straightforwards and honest about the
> reasons for the trade-off decisions and their results?

Yes, that's true. What really sets off the standards crowd is when the
reasons are really bad, and/or people are hostile to standards. The
trap is expecting and assuming the worst of reasons, I guess :)

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not