> Without wanting to unleash too many ponies, I would be interested to know why
> using 0(px | em | %) is so much of a standards blunder.  I'm sure there some
> obvious answer but for the life of me, I can't think of one :).

It's definitely not a standards blunder to add units to a "0" value, just
unnecessary. But don¹t take my word for it... Here is a range of others who
have already said it more (or less) eloquently:

1.
"Specify units for numerical, non-zero values: CSS requires that units are
specified for properties like width, height, and font-size. An exception
from this is when the value is 0 (zero). In that case, no unit is necessary,
since zero is zero, no matter what the unit is."
http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/developing_with_web_standards/css/

2.
"When a value is zero, you do not need to state a unit. For example, if you
wanted to specify no border, it would be border: 0."
http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssbeginner/selectors/

3.
"Note that the zero sized margin is defined as 0, because when any value is
zero it doesn't matter what unit you use. A zero amount of any unit (px, em,
%, etc.) is equal to a zero amount of any other unit."
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=90F55

4.
"If we want to set a margin or padding to zero, we don't need to include a
unit (zero of any unit is always the same!)"
http://www.blueknot.com/CSS/thebox.html

5.
"You must specify a unit unless the value is zero, in which case no unit
should be given. 0px is the same as 0em so units are meaningless for zero
values. Write 0 on its own instead."
http://wettone.com/code/css-style

6.
"The only time it's ok to leave out a unit is when you're setting something
to zero. padding: 0; is a valid declaration, as zero is zero no matter which
way you slice it."
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/stylesheets/cssspacing.html

7.
"Zero is always zero regardless of whether it's 0px, 0em, 0cm etc.. so no
units are required when specifying 0.
- exception: using color notation in rgb format: e.g. rgb(0%, 0%, 0%)"
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum83/4514-7-10.htm

HTH
Russ