Al Sparber wrote:
Imagine that all display values are supported by all browsers as of midnight tonight. Do you think that using display:table and display:table-cell to create multi-column layouts is correct or incorrect - and why?

Yes, it can be, and it would be a much better technique than the existing float techniques, except for the fact that it's limited to source ordered columns. I use display: table-*; on my home page to create the columns, which is why the columns don't work in IE. In fact, using floats for layout is even considered harmful by some [1].

The best technique in the future won't be the multi-column layouts, but the new techniques being worked in the new draft CSS3 Advanced Layout module [2].

[1] http://dbaron.org/log/2005-12#e20051228a
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-layout/

--
Lachlan Hunt