Jay wrote:
> So here is the question:
> What are the benefits of web standards for small business that can be
> sufficiently
> measured in results for the business both in the long and short term?

Jay, been thinking about this for a few days. As youve pointed out,
youre really interested in small business & short term. the long term
benefits are clear. The only tangible benefit to small businesses (in
my experience) is that you should be able to knock out something for a
small business quicker than an old skool developer. i did a site for a
small company a while ago and i didnt even mention to the guy i was
planning to use standards. all he needed to know was it would be fast
to load, and it looked good. heres the site for the heck of it:
(NOTE: do *not* click on this website if the odd swear/curse word
offends you. its just a surfboard store website, theres no offensive
imagery, but there is the odd swear word in the stores blog/commentary
:) Feedback about this aspect is not required on this list.
http://sixounceboardstore.com.au/

Only reason i link to this is that it was essentially a markup
template i had used for a previous site and then knocked this out in 4
or so hours. it might have taken someone else using tables a lot
longer to wysiwyg up all the tables & fiddle with all the nav
rollovers and stuff. the client was just happy it looked good and was
done quickly.

your 2nd question:
>> How do we, as a group start to bring the message to the masses?

its already being delivered well to big business.
but for small business, I dont think we need to.
I agree with Ben.
Small business generally speaking do not need to know. unless of
course they flat out ask.  they're going to be a lot more interested
in simple costs and looks. *We* know web standards are the best thing
to apply. They are just another tool in our toolbelt. in the words of
a multinational, Just do it.

At the end of the day, web standards are just a small % of what goes
into a good website. Ease of use, aesthetic appeal, compelling content
& an accurate portrayal of the brand all play just as big a part if
not more than simply web standards. If theres competition out there
that are doing a better job of all those latter qualities they are
going to win the job even if they employ tables for layout. and quite
rightly i think.

dont take that the wrong way, i think theres a better option than
tables for layout - but we need to keep web standards in perspective.
they're not the be-all and end-all. small businesses only need a small
story when hiring someone to do their site, and in my experience, web
standards just arent a big enough story to make the cut. i just do it.

now, spreading the word to developers and designers. thats where the
action is :)

pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter Ottery ~ Creative Director