Philippe Wittenbergh writes:

On Feb 7, 2006, at 5:08 pm, Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Firefox Win takes the fonts as specified in the browser preferences (Content>Font &colors> advanced).

It is actually somewhat more complicated than this. firstly the unicode range will indicate what font preferences to use, for CJK it will then be necessary to use language tags for the browser to use the font preferences. Firefox makes certain assumptions, without language tagging it will use a Japanese font for Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese, etc. Some of the languages I work with commonly use extended latin characters. If no information is available in the CSS, or if an inappropriate font is specified, then firefox will use the font specified in the font preferences. If the font in the font preferences doesn't have the necessary character, Firefox will choose another font to display that specific character, so for instance the word may render using Times New roman, but one character in that word may display using Code2000 for instance. I suspect that whats used ius based on the first font thats installed in your system that supports the appropriate code range, ie based on a system registry value in windows. If you're typing japanese and use an obscure character not in your default fonts, you may find this font switching occuring. I'll need to create a test page to confirm this. Although on your test page, the text is in kana, so all that would be necessary on your system would be a font that supported the kana, ie doesn't bneed to be an appropriate japanese font. All this depends on what version of Windows you are using. Behaviour will differ between versions of Windows. The terminology "language packs" implies you are using Windows 95/98/ME. IE on Win2000/XP do not use IE language packs, rather they use Windows' supplemental language support (using WinXP terminology).
Andrew Cunningham
Multicultural Officer
Public Libraries Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria