Thierry Koblentz said:
> Is it de facto *the* option because 2 people on this list
> said so?
It's a pretty common design pattern, and no-one challenged it. But
"discuss" vs. "mention" is a pedantic argument - let's move on.

> USEIT said clicking a link should have the only effect of loading
> a new document in the same browser window.
News to me, I have never heard of such a recommendation. Googling USEIT
doesn't support you on this point either.

> IMHO, when a user clicks on a question that reveals the answer right
> below it he knows that he's still viewing the same
> document, because the surrounding elements did not change.
> I believe  clicking on a link that jumps way down the page
> may bit a bit more confusing for the average user.
Revealing content means the surrounding elements *do* change. Following a
hypertext link is the single most understood aspect of the web. In fact,
it is it's defining feature - hence HyperText Markup Language.

What about if the question is at the very bottom of the viewport and the
content is reveal below the window chrome? What about screenreader users
who are, in effect, reading a copy of the page as it first loads?

> I see a relationship between a DT and a DD that I don't see
> between a heading and a paragraph.
Huh? What is the purpose of headings then? Headings and paras precede the
web and definition lists. It is an inherent feature of reading and
writing.

>Definition List comes with a "bonus",  a natural wrapper (the DL).
Adding a div is hardly a hack - W3C says a div offers a generic mechanism
for adding extra structure to documents. Half a dozen one way, six the
other.

> But then you create redundancy for the sake of visual browsers.
No, the redundancy is acutally for the opposite of visual browsers, but
ultimately every browser/user benefits.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.