On Feb 8, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Stephen Stagg wrote:

Why do we need an HTML 5? Can't we dispose of HTML and just use styled XML in the future? It would be one helluva way to enforce standards, and we wouldn't have all this wrangling over exactly which element to use.
_____

Here's a start: http://www.whatwg.org/

As well as I understand, there are dissenting voices about the development of the web: those who want to follow W3C's recommendations towards XHTML, those who want "The Semantic Web" based on XML, and those who want to extend HTML against the wishes of W3C. Plus those who don't want to change at all.

I don't know much more than that, but I'm sure others on the list will fill in the blanks.

Best regards,

Marilyn Langfeld
Langfeldesigns
http://www.langfeldesigns.com