The New York State Attorney General offered a legal opinion that all web
site originating within that state are subject to Section 508 of the 1973
Rehabilitation Act  ( see
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2004/aug/aug19a_04.html ).

Perhaps Target could very well spark similar suits across the country,
especially since New York has successfully gone after two other private web
sites.

Dennis

             "Joseph R. B.
             Taylor"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             om>                       wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             rdsgroup.org                                          Subject
                                       Re: [WSG] Target sued over
                                       non-accessible site
             02/09/2006 10:02
             AM

             Please respond to
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 roup.org

I'm calling all my blind friends right now and having them try to buys
things on all sorts of sites in a conspiracy to make millions...just
kidding...if only!

Actually, as a US developer, this is a golden opportunity to go after
all types of business to make their sites more accessible.  The Target
suit will undoubtedly send shivers down all of their spines.  You want a
business case for standards?--here it is.

The only thing I don't understand is how on earth does a blind person
pick out items that rely on a photograph (clothes etc)...

Joseph R. B. Taylor
Sites by Joe, LLC
http://sitesbyjoe.com
(609)335-3076