From: "Terrence Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It seems that for the author the bottom line is *consistency*
Consistency *is* the bottom line for usability. I have never disputed that. Nielsen also says use platform conventions. Creating a list of links
to resources within a page is a convention for the web.

I hope to hell I'm not opening a can of worms here. Getting away from the FAQ thing to links within documents, I find that sort of navigation almost as annoying as popup windows. It might very well be a convention, but I do consider it a negative for usability. Very distracting - even more so when there are mixed links in the same area, some of which scroll to another point in the doc, while others load new documents.

Back to the FAQs now :-)

--
Al Sparber
PVII

"Designing with CSS is sometimes like barreling down a crumbling mountain road at 90 miles per hour secure in the knowledge that repairs are scheduled for next Tuesday".