Hey Tierry and Terrance,

This is a respectful suggestion. Since Jakob Nielsen is not dead and Useit.com is not the King James Bible, Talmud, Torah, Quaran etc., why not email him and get his opinion on this. In fact, I asked his opinion on this recent adlinks phenomena  just today, where sites are using scripts to place / selling ads linking to sites that don't relate specifically to the article. He responded briefly within two hours.

All the best,

Jay

Thierry Koblentz wrote:
Terrence Wood wrote:

Wow! This time you're seriously wrong.
What I'm using on my site has absolutely nothing to with the way I interpret
the USEIT articles. FYI, I'm not only using skip links, but also popup
windows. Does that make me unaware of the issues related to both?

the popup window reference is irrelevant.
If you simply replace "opening new windows" with "using jump links"

If you replaced it with "chocolate orange cake" it would make sense
according to your logic, but it becomes glaringly obvious just how
wrong that logic is.

I disagree, and FWIW I find your analogy pretty silly. One can click on a
"jump link", not on a "chocolate orange cake".

What you are calling "jump links" are nothing more than hypertext
links. Hypertext links are the foundation of the web. W3C define
hypertext links like this: "A link is a connection from one web
resource to another [1]... The destination anchor of a link may be an
element within an HTML document.[2]"

That's the W3C talking, AFAIK, it has absolutely nothing to do with
usability/accessibility. It is about how things are supposed to  work, not
how they are supposed to be implemented. For example, accesskey is a proper
attribute, part of the recommendations, but there are
usability/accessibility issues attached to it, isn't? And there are other
examples...

It seems that for the author the bottom line is *consistency*

Consistency *is* the bottom line for usability. I have never disputed
that. Nielsen also says use platform conventions. Creating a list of
links to resources within a page is a convention for the web.

So how can you say that "jump links" in a document are consistent with the
navigation links for example? Users click on the latter and are taken to
another page, they click on the former and are taken in a different location
on the same page. How consistent is that?

Actually, I believe the key is to let the user *know* what's about to happen
when he clicks on something that is going to do anything else than loading a
*new* document. We see that with links that open popup windows so why should
we think it should be different with other "behaviors"? In short, I believe
that a FAQ page that says "clicking on the Qs will reveals the As below" is
less an issue than "jump links" that do not warn the user of what's gonna
happen next.

Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com