Bert Doorn wrote:

Which W3C standard/recommendation for CSS defines the zoom property? I don't see it in the CSS 2.1 spec.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html

Look in "MS special" non-standard instead.

If indeed it's not defined in any CSS standard/recommendation, are MS
effectively saying: "We recommend you write invalid CSS so things work in our new browser which has better support for standards"?

Yes. That's exactly what they are saying.

  .gainlayout {zoom: 1;}
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/IETechCol/cols/dnexpie/expie20050831.asp>
Remember: avoid all hacks that aren't approved by Microsoft, and you'll
be fine ;-)

        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no