On 2/12/06, Stuart Sherwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > At which point does one's right to "do as one chooses" start stepping on
> > another one's right to access services?
>
> I believe there is no "right to access services". Any such aberration of
> 'rights' that necessarily violates the legitimate rights of others is
> destructive to our liberty. The question regarding any so called right
> is: "At whose expense?". If there is an answer, you have unmasked why it
> is illegitimate. True rights exist in and of themselves without cost to
> others.

If a site is providing information or services to the public, then the
public have a right to be able to access those services. Providing
access to all of "the public" does not impinge on the rights of any
other sector of that public.  Accessibility and usability go hand in
hand and improvements made to accessibility generally benefit all
users, not just those with disabilities.

I believe education is the key. Many site owners rely on the advice of
their site designers and don't have a clue what Standards are, let
alone what needs to be done to make a site accessible to the widest
possible audience. Target were advised of the problems with their site
ten months ago and chose not to fix them. The question that really
intrigues me is that of where the responsibility actually lies? With
Target (ultimately), with the Amazon engine that generates their site,
or with the designers of the site themselves?  It is certainly an
interesting case.

Education and asking nicely for fixes doesn't always work. Theodore
Rooselvelt had the right idea, "Speak softly and carry a big stick" -
unfortunately, as long as the ADA is seen to be a bricks and mortar
law, it will not be a very effective stick.

Lynne Pope