Designer wrote:
The objections cited, such as the sarcastic suggestion that we sue the radio because the deaf can't hear it, does actually make a valid point and highlights the senseless extremes that one could go to.

The nature of radio itself is purely the transmission of audio signals. Making it accessible to deaf audiences would not be possible unless the medium itself was changed beyond recognition.

The web, however, does not require such a fundamental change in the medium to be accessible to blind users. On the contrary, the fundamental building blocks of the web, HTML markup, have been designed (or at least expanded) with accessibility in mind.

I can't speak for US law, but certainly the DDA in the UK has a fundamental tenet of "reasonable adjustments" running through it. Is it reasonable to, say, demand from a car manufacturer that their vehicles should blind people to drive? No. Is it reasonable to expect a multi-million business to make simple changes to their site to allow blind visitors to shop on there (also in the light of the fact that, for many of those visitors, it's easier to shop online than having to go to physical stores)? Well...yes.

Far better to approach the problem by <em>suggesting<em/> that it's a 'good idea' to do x and y because the resulting site can be visually identical but more accessible.

That assumes that fundamentally people are good and do things without laws. I could also suggest that it's not right to discriminate against different races, religions, etc...but certain people will just ignore those suggestions unless there are enforced consequences.

Screaming and shouting and making money for lawyers is just fanaticism, and considerably discouraging. The answer, like in so many cases, is in education, not in applying a straight jacket!

If I understand the issue correctly, Target have already been informed about their site's shortcomings previously, and have simply chosen to ignore those concerns.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/