I personally believe as "Accessibility Evangelists," part of our responsibilities is to bring this to their attention. These are web designing instructors, they are teaching more and more people to design the "tables" way, which is the exact way that we are trying eliminate.

Stephen Stagg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's a major reason why I didn't go to university, you don't learn
nuffink(sic. :) ) useful. and have to pay around £10,000 for the
privilege

Stephen

On 13 Feb 2006, at 15:24, Chris Taylor wrote:

> A large university here in the UK offers web design courses. But I
> don't
> hold out much hope for the future when they have things like this in
> their syllabus:
>
> "Without the use of tables, all web pages would have to be
> presented in
> purely linear form. Many creative uses of the screen would be
> impossible
> to achieve. Although tables are a little trickier than other effects
> used in basic web design, it is mainly a matter of remembering that
> HTML's first purpose is to structure the page; tables are just an
> extension of this basic idea. Once you have mastered the basics,
> you can
> get some very sophisticated effects with table tags."
>
> (Taken from
> http://www.leeds.ac.uk/acom/webdesign/materials/lesson4.html)
>
> Has anyone attended this course? Is it really as bad as all that? To
> what extent can students do it "the right way" without being penalised
> from straying from the Official Course Documentation?
>
> And, a larger question for us all: what are we as web standards and
> accessibility evangelists to do about the continued ingorance and
> apathy
> towards this vital subject, especially in academia? Let's hope that
> the
> recent Target website court case in the US highlights the cause.
>
> Chris Taylor
> www.stillbreathing.co.uk
> The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/
>
> See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm
> for some hints on posting to the list & getting help

Yahoo! Mail