The "Find And Replace" feature in Dreamweaver can also be a huge time saver.
Other programs probably have this same feature. For example:
Replace all: <br />
With: </li><li>
(and remember to add <li> to the beginning of the first line and </li> to
the end of the last line.)

Then use the Dreamweaver command "Apply Source Formatting" to make the code
more readable.

It might be safer (and easier), however, to use this feature by first
pasting the text into a blank html page, do all your editing there and then
copy/paste the re-formatted text into your real page. That way you don't run
the risk of accidentally altering code you didn't want altered.

HTH,
Hope Stewart