On 17/02/06, Jamie Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ...I've never been sure what the context of a table cell is which is
> following more than one <th> in the same scope.

The section on table rendering by non-visual user agents in the HTML
specification [1] will shed some light. When a table cell contains
data and is also a header for other cells, it should be marked up with
td. If the data cells for a heading (td or th) are in irregular
positions, then the data cells that come under the heading should use
the headers attribute. If the cells covered by the heading (td or th)
are for the rest of the column or the rest of the row, then the scope
attribute is fine using a value of "col" or "row" respectively.

In your example, if the data cell C1 comes under the heading A1, and
C1 is intended to be a heading for all columns that follow, then it
should be marked up as:

Subsequent cells in that column have a heading of A1 + C1. If the
relationship is more complex than that, then the headers attribute
would be more appropriate for each data cell to define its headers.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#non-visual-rendering

Best regards,

Gez

--