On 18/02/2006, at 4:09 PM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

Just a question: is it "xhtml 1.0 which may be served as xhtml and/or
html" or "html with an xhtml DTD, lowercase and slashes, and served as
html" you are recommending?
I have no problems with the former since I use it all the time, but the
latter is what is found on most sites, and that's "no good" and should
not be recommended to anyone.

The basics of what I have to say on the matter can be found here...
...and that page is duplicated in several versions - valid and not -
working and not - just to clarify what that is all about.

The first, of course ;-)

There's no such thing as 'XHTML 1.1 Strict', BTW.
It is just 'XHTML 1.1', and it doesn't work in IE/win since that browser
doesn't understand what xhtml is all about, and 'XHTML 1.1' shall not be
served as 'html'.

Sorry, I went back over my text and changed the 1.0 to 1.1 without taking the strict out :-$

The problem with IE is that the XHTML MIME Type is "application/xhtml+xml" which no Microsoft products support properly. Until this is fixed I don't think we can move beyond XHTML 1.0.

:-) pony below
I guess it's just a matter of trying to keep up the good ideals and getting more designers on board with XHTML served as XHTML & HTML. I'm actually surprised how many tutorials I see that use HTML 4.01 in computer magazines in 2006. If we can't convince these people to code to XHTML 1.0 Transitional standards we have real problems.

Regards,

Steve