Martin Heiden wrote:

>   I use to set the body font-size to 62.5% for getting 1em = 10px at
>   default settings. ...

Martin, you may like to consider the effect of defining a small font size
on the BODY element. Georg Sørtun did some experiments that illustrate
the problem:

  <http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_03_04.html>

FWIW - I installed Clear Type on my laptop recently. These fonts are
anti-aliased, and I'm amazed how much easier they are to read. I think
perhaps the reason you see so many sites that use tiny text is the design
comes from a Photoshop layout that uses anti-aliased fonts. Take a look
at a web page under the screen magnifier sometime - it amazes me that
10px fonts can be read at all! (Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier)

An additional effect from using a 120 dpi setting (needed for Clear Type)
is that IE and Opera show text 125% larger than Gecko browsers. So I
simply set IE and Opera to smaller fonts to match.

Even with IE set to smaller text, I notice that some sites still break at
the new dpi setting. Little wonder that most people leave their settings
as they come from the store.

On the subject of trying to please everyone, I wonder if you are familiar
with the story of the man, the boy, and the donkey? :

  <http://www.bartleby.com/17/1/62.html>

Cordially,
David
--