On 23 Feb 2006, at 11:19, Ian Anderson wrote:

Kevin Futter wrote:

Anyway, for the benefit of others interested in this thread/topic, the upshot from the above link seems to be that the pipe character (|) is the best compromise currently available as a screen reader-friendly element
separator.

I profoundly disagree with that. The vertical bar is the worst thing you can use in a breadcrumb trail, regardless of how it reads in a screen reader. This is conventionally used on the web as a separator for sibling links, and it really doesn't work as a breadcrumb separator for sighted users.

I don't think a list is appropriate markup for breadcrumbs and prefer the conventional "You are in: home > products > foo"

I like to implement my bread-crumbs as an UL and then stylistically add the 'visual direction' indicator using an image.

For the benefit of Screen-readers and textmode browsers, I add a LI with the text 'breadcrumb' at the top of the list which is then hidden using CSS. It's not a perfect solution but it works.

<ul>
  <li class="first">Breadcrumb: </>
  <li><a>Menu Item 1</></>
  <li><a>Menu Item 2</></>
  <li><a>Menu Item 3</></>
</>

ul li{
background:url(directional sliding doors graphic);
}

ul li.first{
background:url(terminating graphic);
text-indent:9000;