> >I think you have come across a key lesson for the standards community:
> >techies know about standards, they are not ignorant, they just have
> >their own reasons (however lame) for not following them.

...which is why they can be a tough group to pitch to. They can be far
more set in their ways than management.

There are plenty of ignorant techies though, they're not all aware of standards.

> I also think there are a lot of people who work in big organisations,
> companies and even universities, that know that to raise these issues is
> to put their job on the line.  Some developers who have a good
[snip]

Even if you aren't at risk of losing your job, you can certainly make
yourself unpopular if you speak the truth about tag soup/inaccessible
systems. Particularly big, expensive enterprise applications which
cost millions.

Not to mention the fact that the people who implemented those
bohemoths can't always separate standards advice from personal
vilification - no matter how polite, rational, independently
verfiable...

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not