This element is generally 'unstylable' for security reasons; namely
ensuring the user is aware of what they're doing.

Did you search first?
http://www.google.com/search?q=CSS+input+type%3D%22file%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

The first result is about as good of  write up as you're likely to find.

On 3/10/06, Soeren Mordhorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear WSG,
>
> for an <input type="file"> we like to design the button and, if
> possible, the background-color for focus.
> Does anybody know how to do that?
>
> The link in the fieldset 'Upload a file to the W3C Validator.':
> http://www.webnauts.net/redesign/check.html
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> All the best,
>
> Soeren

http://leftjustified.net/
~ Show me one user that actually needs a 'reset' button on a web form
and I'll show you 50 that clicked it by mistake and left your site in
disgust. :)