Thanks Peter, and Ben, for great insight.
I will try to a collaborative aproach with the developer.

I know that a in a previous situation with another developer we used repeaters to output standards code, i would like to be able to stick css possitioning into a form repeater for him. im not even sure exactly on the difference between a repeater and a control but im reading up on the msdn site, Building ASP.NET 2.0 Web Sites Using Web Standards and asp.net for designers.

ill let you know how i get on
thanks again
-kevin