I fear not, I have to admit.
Mostly, I've been following the mailing list for the last year or so and, while nobody states this explicitly (most of the messages are about server config issues for the WALL thing), everybody with a live site seems to talk and behave like this was the case. Server stats are rarely on the forefront, and even then the assumption seems to be that they're not to be extrapolated and make sense only for their geographic area and a narrow set of phone companies. The phone model is, to all practical effects, used as an alias for the phone/browser combo. Further, I've gone at some depth into that XML capabilities file, where the User Agent string is the variable you query to retrieve the phone/browser combo details. User agent strings almost always consist of a manufacturer's brand/model/version string followed by the browser string. Now, almost all phone models are present with a single entry, while some popular phones present with different browsers seems rather the case when phone companies buy handsets in bulk and add (personalize) a browser of their choice (recognizable because they add their name in front of the string). My (personal and unsupported) view on all this is that end users just don't care to have the latest and greatest browser 'cause they see the whole mobile web experience as secondary to their desktop browsing (something just like me checking mozilla.org often, while upgrading Linx once a year at best, if at all).

djn

Jon Tan wrote:
Dejan Kozina wrote:
[...] phone owners just do not upgrade their browsers. They're far more likely to buy a new phone that to mess with the handset's preinstalled software. [...]
Very interesting and informative reply Dejan, thank you. We've been discussing mobile content publishing for (ironically) a mobile phone provider to deliver content to their own employees - the user behaviour you describe sounds reasonable but if you have any data to support your statement could you let me know? I'm particularly interested in Opera downloads or usage where Opera is not the default device browser.

Thanks
Jon Tan
www.gr0w.com

Dejan Kozina
Dolina 346 (TS) - I-34018 Italy
tel./fax: +39 040 228 436 - cell.: +39 348 7355 225
http://www.kozina.com/  - e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]