Designer wrote:
In an endeavor to 'be good', I've been putting tabindex on links just lately. Certainly the WAI validator gives me a warning if I don't.

Just ignore such useless warnings, tabindex can do more harm than good if used without a lot of care and it's mostly useless because there are few cases where tabbing through in document order isn't sufficient.

As it happens, the default taborder is the correct (desired) one anyway

Exactly why you shouldn't use it.

And what's the current thinking on accesskey?

accesskey is far worse than tabindex and many accessibility experts will tell you to never use it.
http://www.wats.ca/resources/accesskeysandkeystrokes/38

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/