To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Re: Website Directory Structure - Best Practice

Hi Richard,

Can you please suggest a reason why there would be an
absolute need to delete a file?
That's a good question. Here are some reasons to "absolutely" delete files:

- Legal issues / licensing. Your site may be licensed to use content for a period of time and then content needs to be removed. A real life example would be an online store that sell 3rd party products. It may use Product X images only as long as it sells Product X.

- Branding issues. When a company changes it's logo, slogan, colour scheme, etc., Sales and Marketing will want to remove any images with old branding. That's the whole point of branding.

- Incorrect/out-of-date information. Informative images can have old pricing info, old phone numbers, old organizational charts, old product numbers, etc. To reduce confusion, misleading information and errors, old images need to be removed.

- Business reasons. You formed a partnership with Company X and it did not work out. You probably want to remove any images with both your logos together. "I don't think you would want to archive that screw-up!" :-)

So the next logical question is, if none of my current Web pages link to old images, then what's the harm in keeping them around if I have extra disk space? Well, your Web pages are not the only entry point to your Web site's images. For example, go to google.com and click on Images.

Richard, the article Lachlan referred to talks about an ideal world based on "frictionless models". Whenever people get involved, you get frictions (in more sense than one).

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xstandard.com