Designer wrote:

I don't understand that.  If Safari is capable of handing the correct
 mime type, how can (why would)  it serve 4.01 strict?

Probably because Safari is cheating :-)

I don't know much about Safari - only use it for basic testing, but the
following turned up in my archives from a discussion I had on the
subject a year or so ago.

1: Don't think Safari has a genuine xml-parser. Suspect Safari to use
the same parser as for 'text/html'.
2: Don't think Safari responds with the right information in the
accept headers. It prefers 'text/html', and "says" so.

Others must know more about this than I do, so I'll leave it at that.

        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no