organisation). I have a penchant for short, usable URLs that don't show file
names, and would like to link to "/mydept/training/" rather than
"/mydept/training.htm".

Sounds a lot like you'll get resistance, although I agree that not
showing extensions has some benefits.

I'd shoot for a middle of the road - make sure that all index pages
are documented/distrubuted without the "index.html" and try to avoid
promoting anything other than an index :)

More of a social hack than a technical solution, but sometimes policy
requires it.

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not