I use a javascript that run into the ul list links and give them a
target="_blank" on fly if someone click it.

I know that this may not be the best way, some people wouldn´t know
that a new window will open. I try in the some script to use a <abbr
title="new window">NW</abbr>  inside of the <a> and only if they click
in abbr will open in new window.

for now it just give a target="_blank" to specifics links.

www.waynext.pt

<!--
function popup(popthis) {
        popthis.setAttribute("target","_blank");
}

function outlinks() {
        if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return false;
        if (!document.getElementById("clientes")) return false;
        var clientes = document.getElementById("clientes");
        var links = clientes.getElementsByTagName("a");

        for ( var i=0; i < links.length; i++) {
                links[i].onclick = function() {
                return popup(this);
                }
        links[i].onkeypress = links[i].onclick;
        }
}

function addLoadEvent(func) {
 var oldonload = window.onload;
 if (typeof window.onload != 'function') {
   window.onload = func;
 } else {
   window.onload = function() {
     oldonload();
     func();
   }
 }
}

addLoadEvent(outlinks);
//-->

On 25/02/07, Gunlaug Sørtun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ricky Onsman wrote:
> When it comes down to it, I think most people (and yes, that means
> people using IE) will just left-click on a link. If you want
> something particular to happen, you'd better code it in.

I think we're going in circles here, and it doesn't look like they are
entirely within "best practices" and/or "web standards".

Problem:
1: Properly served XHTML 1.1 (as 'application/xhtml+xml') doesn't show
up as much in IE. (Shouldn't be any different on an intranet, but maybe
it is..? )
2: Alternatives to target="_blank" is needed because people using IE
don't know how to open links in new windows and will just left-click on
a link.

Solution:
1: On the web most people (and yes, that means people using IE) won't,
or at least "should not"[1], see the XHTML 1.1 document at all, so most
people won't need to open its links anywhere.
2: If IE users _can_ see the XHTML 1.1 document - regardless of whether
its on an intranet or out on the world wide web, then it isn't really
following standards anyway. No valid alternative to target="_blank" will
improve much on that.
3: If IE is excluded and all is according to standards, then _any_
method that isn't deprecated in the XHTML 1.1 standard, can be used to
circumvent that particular standard. Enough alternatives in this thread
already.

I think I derailed in a curve - somewhere :-)

        Georg

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary
--
http://www.gunlaug.no