This should not happen with Opera browsers (Opera Mini and Opera Mobile). We specifically ask Google and other search engines not to give us transcoded results when our users search using their search engines. If they do then it is a bug and we want to know about it so we can ask them to correct this behaviour.

For styling the page handheld stylesheets should be used. For JavaScript issues I don't know of a way to specifically detect if it is a handheld, and browser sniffing is far from ideal on mobile due to many reasons.

Tim do you have a specific example of what issues are being caused, then I can look into them? Also which browsers are you testing on. Some mobile browsers have very poor JavaScript support. Browsers such as Opera Mobile have full JavaScript support. Opera mini is slightly more restricted in that it uses a client server architecture, so there is no AJAX, but by developing using progressive enhancement it should work, depending on how complex the site is you are trying to develop.