At 3/6/2007 11:04 PM, Thierry Koblentz wrote:
For me if it fits in a two column table then it's not tabular data.

Yikes-a-roonie! That is the most refreshingly bizarre assertion I've heard all day. And self-contradictory: if it "fits in a table" then it is by definition "tabular," number of columns aside. Your three-column minimum certainly doesn't apply to data tables in general out there in the real world; why impose such a restriction in HTML? I've just re-read what the HTML 4.1 spec has to say about table markup and structure, and nowhere did I see any restriction on the number of columns a table may have.

I have a
need for a table when it is the only tool that would make sense of the data.
Usually that's the way I think about it, if it makes sense only in a table
then it's tabular data.

If you apply that same rigorousness to all of HTML's tags you're going to tie yourself up in knots. You could as easily say that you shouldn't use a definition list unless it's the only structure that will hold the data. A 2xN dataset doesn't *require* a definition list; to be consistent shouldn't you assert that you shouldn't use a DL unless your data requires that structure? With a table's flexibility in the number of rows and columns and a DL's flexibility in the number of DTs and DDs, how can you find the kind of inflexibility you're seeking? If someone marks up a two-column dataset as H3-P pairs I don't think they're marking it up incorrectly, just differently, with some arguable advantages and disadvantages depending on their circumstances.

I don't think the other way around, I don't leave
room for any other consideration. So in short, if it *also* makes sense in a
DL or an UL or anything else (without styling), then it is not tabular data.
Because only tables can display tabular data.

You're expecting the markup language to be excessively rigorous. HTML has latitude, gives us choices, leaves us room to be creative and inventive and to come up with multiple solutions to problems. If you paint yourself into tight corners then your own innovations will become brittle and uninspired.

Hang loose, man.

Paul