The example we have been seeing in this thread is one that doesn't fall
neatly into either the table or definition list categories. It could work
with both.

The broader debate about just what is a table vrs a definition list is far
more interesting.

Paul, I like the way you put it. But I don't see DT/DD as being similar to
TH/TD.

Tables define information that can be accessed using X Y coordinates (Column
and row). So a table is a kind of ternary relationship. The x, y, and the
value identified by the coordinates.

Definition lists define key/value pairs. It's a binary relationship.

OF course the way we use these structures is incidental. In the case that
started this thread, there appears to be no header information (no X
coordinate). But we can infer implied headings of "name" and "position".
The y coordinate is the persons name. So it's a table.

But without the implied header information, it's just a list of key value
pairs. So it's a definition list.

We could go on for ever like this.

What is it realy? Who cares?

How would I write it? I'd use a DL and style the dots with CSS.

Lucien.

On 9/3/07 6:09 AM, "Paul Novitski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 3/8/2007 09:40 AM, Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
>> On the other hand, I personally believe that the use of a dl in this
>> example would make no *semantic* sense. After all, given the term
>> "President", the definition of that term would be something like "The
>> individual in charge of the organisation". "John Smith" simply cannot
>> be seen as a *definition* of the term "President", but is rather the
>> personal name of that entity which is *denoted* by the term "President".
>>
>> If it was called a "denotation list", then fair enough; but it's a
>> definition list, for grouping terms with their definitions (whatever
>> vague examples may be given in the standard).
>>
>> In the example you aren't defining any terms: you are specifying that
>> a key is bound to a value, and *that* is what a table may usefully be
>> used for.
>

> The HTML spec makes it explicitly clear that the relationship between
> term and description can be interpreted more broadly than merely
> terms and their definitions:
>
> "Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues,
> with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words." [1]
>
> In a dialog, the speech does not define the speaker; rather, they
> mutually inform one another to constitute a data record of closely
> associated fields.  I suggest that the DT/DD relationship is similar
> to the TH/TD relationship of "head" and "datum."
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html#h-10.3
> HTML 4.01 Specification
> 10.3 Definition lists: the DL, DT, and DD elements

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lucien Stals
Web Developer
Academic Development and Support
Phone +61 3 9214 4474
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Education is only the beginning.
Let's get on with it.

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.