It sounds ridiculous! And I do it!!

haha, I can't believe I do that, reading this information made me
understand. I don't know why, it's obviusly not necessary, and of
course I try not to do it in gmail, but I like to have the "back" list
almost empty. If I'm using google search, and send many queries, I
almost always go back to "clean them". And I know how to use
computers...! I recently changed to Mac, and maybe not having the list
of sites in Safari as in Firefox may change this unexplaiable custom.

This is not a reason to keep the back functionality, just a weird, web
developer case.

Regards;

Eugenio.

On 3/8/07, libwebdev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi folks,

Someone wrote:
> > One of my favourite stats is that 30% of browser activity involves
> > using the Back button .....Proceedings of the Third International
> > World Wide Web Conference, Darmstadt, Germany (1995).

To which someone else replied:

> and the web, users and people have changed a lot since 1995, I would
> say so much so that that stat would know be unreliable...

I did usability testing with 10 users of a medium-sized library website 18
months ago.

Every single person, withOUT exception, failed to use either the breadcrumb
navigation, or the left sidebar navigation. Each time they wanted to return
'home' or to somewhere they'd been before, they simply hit 'back, back,
back' until they got there.
If they needed to go somewhere new to complete or begin a new task, they
still didn't use the side nav, they backed up to the 'home' page to start
from there.
I wondered if they did it because they thought that each new task should
begin on the 'home' page, but every one I asked (about half of them) said
'no', they always used a browser like that (note that they didn't say they
used my site like that, they used the browser like that).

I was astounded.

lib.