Katrina wrote:

For anyone who's interested:

Asking around: targetnamespace is just a name, that's it. It does not act as a link nor as a source that the parser should follow. The parser just checks that the XML schema that the XML document cites is matching and correct.

In the example cited, the xmlns:po exists purely for clarity sake and no other reason, as it is unnecessary. None of the elements prefixed by po: are required to be so.

The unprefixed namespace is the default namespace and that it is the namespace for the XML schema itself.

If anyone disagrees with this, please let me know.

Kat

What does targetnamespace do? Is it setting a default namespace for that schema?

Take for instance this example:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#po1.xsd

<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
       xmlns:po="http://www.example.com/PO1";
       targetNamespace="http://www.example.com/PO1";
       elementFormDefault="unqualified"
       attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

I would have thought that the default namespace was the first namespace listed, unprefixed (xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";) and then the second listed namespace, xmlns:po="http://www.example.com/PO1"; is referenced by the po: prefix, but then what does the targetNamespace do? What does it reference? What does it mean?

Kat