Bob Schwartz wrote:
In light of that bit of news, would <td>&nbsp;</td> still be considered the wrong answer?

<pony warning>

Of course!

You should _always_ follow standard, even when it doesn't work...
...but, if reality kicks in, then you _can_ use <td><!--[if
IE]>&nbsp;<![endif]--></td> and apply the empty-cells property for
compliant browsers, and maybe get away with it ;-)

</pony warning>

The answer is simple: use standards as far as they get you, and then add
whatever is necessary to make it work. I don't know if there is any
working alternatives to <td>&nbsp;</td> for IE/win, so I would simply
use it until someone comes up with a better - and working - solution.

        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no