Have a look at the Adobe.com website, see what they are doing (talking
about massive).

I also tend to divide layout/fonts/colours into separate files.
You could then have different colour templates, font templates (where
font sizes change for example), etc.

As css files can become big, I think we need two versions, a
development version and a production version, same as what you see
with js files. You don't write css files to have pretty/commented
code, you write them for a browser to interpret. You have tools like
TopStyle which can automatically collapse and expand style
definitions, for example.
This site has an overview on CSS optimization tools (haven't used any
myself though, only topstyle):
http://www.bloggingpro.com/archives/2006/08/17/css-optimization/
or online tools: http://www.cssdev.com/csstweak/  or
http://www.cssoptimiser.com/
Although when compressing css, I guess you have to watch out for any
browser hacks (which you should avoid anyway).

Also, have separate development files, and then combine them into one
for production (not if you want to do templating with css of course).
Standard browser settings only allow for 2 simultaneous HTTP requests
from a single domain, so many request for small files will slow down
the (initial) page load. But it has pros and contras, especially if
you update often for example. Have a read on this Vitamin article:
http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/webapps/serving-javascript-fast.

Hope it helps,
regards,
JJ