Grant Novey wrote:
Using the @import stylesheet rule is great if you only want your stylesheet rules to be picked up by most modern browsers. Netscape 4 and below and IE 4 and below do not support the @import rule. This allows you to target stylesheets to specific browser versions.

Does that make sense?

This is the only practical advice I've seen on the topic.

A while back I read this article on the secret power of the rel property in links... The author went about listing examples of different objects you could link and different terms for what relevance they might have (hence rel values). His enthusiasm was tangible, but he gave absolutely no indication of how this would improve any appreciable aspect of your page as far as user experience was concerned.

Am I just being cynical or is it really just a bit unnecessary?

Regards,
Barney