Lee Powell wrote:

Last evening I was playing around with some conceptual work which included a vast number of headers, and it got me thinking into how best to use them, and indeed how the spec says to use them. The W3C spec states, that the range of headers goes from h1 through to h6, and that headers should be tagged relevant to their importance.

If this is the case, should headers be nested? In that an h3 should always come after an h2, and an h4 should always proceed an h3. Or should we markup content relevant simply to how important we feel a certain heading is? .....]

Regards

Lee Powell

Headings show the logical structure of the page-- an outline. They are not used to add emphasis, or to change font size. You can machine check a page outline through the w3c validation service: validate the markup>check "Show Outine">click "Revalidate." Use the link to the "semantic data extractor" below the outline for semantic info beyond an outline.

Best,

~dL
<http://www.w3.org/2003/12/semantic-extractor.html>

--