I'm working on a website that contains a number of poems. Are there
any discussions or examples on strategies for marking up and styling
poetry? I haven't started doing markup yet, but if it would help
folks on the list, I could that and post the links.

As is usually the case, the bare markup really guides things - ie. be
careful of solutions using <span> + CSS to generate lines, since that
disappears without CSS.

Generally, <p> with <br /> is best where the lines are important but
there's no special whitespace (the majority of poetry). It's one of
the extremely rare situations where <br /> really is a part of the
content.

For unusual whitespace <pre> is generally the best solution.

Then style accordingly.

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not