On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:13:07 +1000, Andrew Harris wrote:
> Learned friends - hope you can help me.
>
> I am having trouble matching transparent png files to html background
> colours. The
> dodgy test page here: http://www.woowoowoo.com/pngtest/ illustrates the
> effect.
>
> twe melb wrote:
>> As far as i know png alpha transparency does not work well in IE 5.5 and 6,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:40:26 +1000, Lachlan Hunt confirmed:
> Correct.
>
>> it seems to only works in firefox,
>>
> And IE7, Opera, Safari, etc.
>
>> i tend to avoid the use of png as it is not cross browser compatible,
>>
> Nonsense!  Aside from alpha transparency problems in IE6 (and earlier), PNG
> is widely
> supported.  PNG8 supports index transparency, just like GIF, and that is
> widely
> supported.  Alpha transparency can be used if care is taken to work around the
> limitations in IE6.
>
>> i  uses gif instead.
>>
> Don't use GIF, it is inferior to PNG in every way.  Animated GIFs are the
> exception,
> but they should be used sparingly anyway.

8-bit PNG works very well, even in IE 5.01. Graphics programs such
as Photoshop add a lot of cruft to PNG files, so you need to get an
optimizing tool. The result will likely be significantly smaller than
a GIF.

I believe that IE 5 Mac supports full alpha transparency, along with
practically every browser made since then, with the exception of IE
for Windows, as Lachlan points out.

Please don't give up on PNG for the sake of one old make of browser!
Give IE 5/6 Windows its own style that's usable but not quite as
pretty.

Cordially,
David