From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shaun
Sent: 22 April 2007 01:07
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] handling accessible form

I am helping to put together a generic form builder and handler for a
bespoke CMS We decided that we would do unobtrusive JavaScript to do client
side validation based on class values but also wanted to do server side. My
colleague came up with the idea of naming form elements in a certain way so
we could determine what server side validation to use e.g. <input
name='firstname:test:required' etc.. would be a required text input of name
firstname. However I think this would not make for a good label for
attribute (for accessibility)

Two questions :

1. I assume I am right that for attributes on labels get read by screen
readers and messing these up would be wrong 2. Any suggestions for a ways of
getting, without using AJAX (so it work without javascript) class name into
server side or solving this conundrum

Thanks

Shaun Hare.