Hi,

HTML is not "required to be forgiving of minor errors and omissions".

It's the normal PC based browsers such as IE, Netscape and Mozilla that
developed alongside non-standards coding (and Dreamweaver) that had to be
forgiving of errors - not HTML per se.

A mobile lightweight browser that does not have the computing power to be
able detect and try to interpret bad code and hacks will fail to do this.

As the number of such devices increases so does the need for standards.
That's the reason this forum exists - to design for the future, rather
than just what you can get away with in today's browsers.

Stuart

On Thu, April 26, 2007 7:08 am, David Hucklesby wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:26:41 +1000, Andrew Harris wrote:
>> 'morning all,
>>
>> It is common and often recommended practice to comment javascript placed
>> in a document.
>>
>> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"> <!-- myVariable =
>> 'woo'; // -->
>> </script>
>>
> Netscape 2 introduced JavaScript (Livescript) in 1995. Netscape 1 did not
> recognize the SCRIPT tags, and rendered the script on screen. Hence
> the need, back then, for the HTML comments.
>
> Only needed today if you wish to support Netscape 1.
>

>> While I'm on the topic - what about the whole <![CDATA[ ... ]]> thing?
>> Should I be
>> using that? What are the possible consequences of ignoring it like the
>> vast majority of
>> page authors?
>
> CDATA sections are required for embedded code only for XHTML.
> If your file names end in .htm, .html, .php etc. then every browser
> in the world will treat your "XHTML" as poorly marked up HTML.
>
> XHTML markup works because, unlike XHTML, HTML is required to be
> forgiving of minor errors and several omissions.
>
> Cordially,
> David
> --

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]