HTML is not "required to be forgiving of minor errors and omissions".

It's the normal PC based browsers such as IE, Netscape and Mozilla that
developed alongside non-standards coding (and Dreamweaver) that had to be
forgiving of errors - not HTML per se.

PC-based browsers are "forgiving" because that's what most users prefer.
Most people out there are more interested in the content of the page they are looking at than the way it's marked up.

A mobile lightweight browser that does not have the computing power to be
able detect and try to interpret bad code and hacks will fail to do this.

As the number of such devices increases so does the need for standards.
That's the reason this forum exists - to design for the future, rather
than just what you can get away with in today's browsers.

I don't think its totally a computing power issue...

Mobile phones these days have more memory and a faster cpu than anything I was using to browse with in 1994 ...
yet browsers back then were quite tolerant of bad code,
... but of course browsers back then were compiled directly for the target cpu, rather than made to run in virtual machines such as java (a lot of mobile phone browsers are java-based), and html was far simpler back then too.

... however we DO want our sites to work in different types of browsers, some of which we may not know exist, or may exist in the future! It is just not feasable to test with EVERY version of every browser on every platform that exists in the planet! most of us a stuck with testing with just a few... generally the more popular ones.