> However, the actual source contains the relevant numeric character
> references (“ and ”), not the quote characters themselves.

Hi Nick,

I think you are looking in the wrong place in your HTML source.
You are correct that the double quote is an entity in the title, but the
validator is saying the error occurred on line 137 which is the link to the
comments section. The source there is:

href="http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/2007/02/14/why-left-9999px-is-better-for-acc
essibility-than-display-none/#comments" title="Comment on Why "left:
-9999px;" is Better For Accessibility Than "display: none;"">12 Comments
&#187;</a></p>

There you can see the double quote is no longer an entity. The error seems
to be in your version of Wordpress and not the validator.

Regards,

Kepler Gelotte
http://www.neighborwebmaster.com