I can't make up my mind whether you are agreeing with me here or
disagreeing?

The important point is that this type of script assumes that  no
JavaScript == screen reader
which is patent nonsense.
It also assumes that screen reader users are the only ones who might
dislike pop-ups, which is even more ridiculous.

Regards,
Mike