Today i just told them to go back to using table based layouts and i
will restrict my designs accordingly- i cant listen to the whining anymore.
What would you have done in this situation?

Well I'm not a designer so this is a bit speculative - but with that
sort of situation I'd probably stop getting involved in
implementation. If they're more interested in finger-pointing than
solutions, all you can do is remove yourself from the chain of blame.
If they're not training their staff properly you can't win that fight.

Alternatively, start doing the HTML yourself - show them your rates
and let them run cost/benefit versus hacking it together themselves.
Of course they might not be good at maintaining it, so you're still at
risk.

cheers,
Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not