I think I agree, as a result of certain ponderings on the context of this particular gallery being that of a fashion collection, and therefore having a pretty close relationship to the idea of presenting goods for sale. I've written about it more in my reply to Patrick Lauke, and I'm beginning to think that the accessibility aspect could be quite important here. Then again, I'm up very late :-)
I would be completely for the ordered list, as it is quite nice to have a numerical reference, however, the site is more of a showcase for wholesale, than a display for retail purchases. The order/sequence of images within the group might be important to the (fashion) designer, but not so much to the buyers. The image title attribute will hold the style and color information for each piece, eliminating any need to group images within each collection.

Unless my client needs to show a number with each image, an ordered list would be my second choice. I still think a DIV will be the right markup for the task. Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

Jason Robb
www.eleventy72.com