On Behalf Of Terrence Wood

> most screen reader users don't expand abbreviations, they would only get
"asterisk"
> spoken to them. They might wonder what its significance is.

Interesting. I used to think the same thing, but "someone" in a recent
thread told me:

>> On the other hand, screen-readers are generally configured by default
>> to always read out the expansion of text marked up as an abbreviation
>> (that is, the contents of the title attribute), so using <abbr> (or
>> the non-standard <acronym>) repeatedly will force users of such
>> assistive technologies to listen to the full version on every
>> occurrence in the page. From what I've heard, this gets irritating
>> pretty quickly, and could be seen as diminishing the accessibility of
>> the page.

So what's the real deal?

> Any user might wonder what an asterisk is for without instructional text.

I'd think the expansion in plain text *and* in the first occurrence of the
ABBR should be enough no?

> How about just including (required) on the end of each label,

Some clients do not want this at all, they think it "pollutes the visual".
But an easy way to "make every body happy" is to go with:
* <span>(required field)</span>
and shoot the span off screen.

> or grouping the required fields in a 'Required'  fieldset?

As long as the grouping makes sense, I think it's a good approach.

---
Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com