On 5/29/07, David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Because, in an HTML document, an XHTML style img tag unambiguously
means "An image element followed by a greater than sign".

I still can't see where it says that in the spec, do you need to know
the SGML spec as well? It seems strange that the closing slash is
taken as the close, rather than the greater than sign, is that in the
HTML spec somewhere?

Since this is either ill defined or not defined in the HTML spec so
far (unless WHATWG tackled it?), I'd suggest that the method implied
by XHTML compatibility guidelines might be a more suitable reference
in future?

the construct is valid and the
validator should not claim otherwise. It just doesn't mean what the
author intends.

Given the mis-match in meaning that does not produce an error, surely
it's something that should change then?

Kind regards,

-Alastair