Lucien Stals
Multimedia/Web Developer
Academic Development and Support
Swinburne University of Technology
PO Box 218 Hawthorn, 3122, Australia
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
telephone: +61 3 9214 4474
office: AD223

>>> On 6/06/2007 at 1:25 pm, Nick Gleitzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Lucien Stals wrote:
>
>> I suspect that the following code...

>> <dl>
>> </dl>
>> </fieldset>
>>
>> Is perfectly valid, semantic markup which a screen reader would
render
>> just fine.
>
> Logical, no doubt of it. But see Steve Green's post which said, "JAWS

> ... can only enter 'forms mode' when a form control has focus."
>
> Does that mean that JAWS won't read the contents of the <legend>
> element because it's not in 'forms mode'? And if not, how important
is
> it for clarification of what follows that the legend be read? If the

> answer to that is 'not', or 'optional', there's not much point in
> including it - is there?

Hmm. It's an interesting point. I'd still be curious to find out what
does in fact happen. But if that's correct, then using the fieldset this
way has no practical  benefit for people using assistive devices. In
which case we might be doing nothing more than drawing a pretty box
around some text, which is a presentational issue best done with CSS
anyway.

I think it could still be of semantic use to sighted users.

Lucien.

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Lucien Stals