Hello everyone,

I think this is my first post, which is sort of embarrassing. I can't find a css error, deadlines are looming, and I'm just not seeing the problem.

In brief - I'm instituting a "you are here" in the navigation. The site's default navigation style (in an external style sheet) is over-ridden by a style for the link to this page (in an internal style block). Except it's not. So I did something wrong and I'm just not seeing it. Internal style blocks over-ride external style sheets, right?

Here is the relevant bit from the external style sheet:

#every_page li a {
display: block;
height: 1em;
padding: .6em;
font-size: small;
text-decoration: none;
color: #999;
background-color: #4F1111;
}

#every_page li a:hover {
background-color: #999;
color: #000;
}

This works just fine.

So in the internal style sheet, I do this:

#index, index:hover { color: #4F1111; background: #003173; cursor: default;}

The relevant xhtml:

I get the cursor change, but not the color change.

When I load the page, the link style for the link to this page is the same as the others, except that the cursor is changed from a link pointer to the default pointer. So I know the style is being applied, it's just not over-riding the style from the external style sheet.

Do I have precedence wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.